The "Break"

The message is clear, rest at the break as you bring in the new year.
But as I travel the sites, letting crews in here and there,
I wonder why this message, this message of cheer.
4, 8, 12, 15 or so, are working this “break”, to make sure all things a go.
Report cards must fly off the press and be stamped.
In time for families to begin with schedules un-cramped.
Should they take it again, or a new class to begin,
Is what Johnny needs good, or must he take it on chin.
Then before the dawn breaks, I must open another school,
I fumble the keys and code, or buzzz, I break yet another rule.
Our folks bring big pipes, so the technology can flow,
If it becomes choked, instruction receives such a blow.
Patches we must add to an information system,
The application is moving, sounds of hard drives make us glisten.
Next we must close the fiscals for year end,
Several teachers need their check, their money won’t lend.
So, off my staff goes to make the break good for all,
We do it cheerfully, because we help children stand tall.
A little girl showed me at Mascot today,
As she struggled to walk, her hip brace in the way.
Good folk are not here for the pay, nor to receive the good labels.
They’re not here to crank out fast fiber and cable.
We’re here to help a child, maybe two as we travel,
And succeed we will, or our plans will unravel.
So back to the girl, she made it to her room,
I watched and remembered, on her smile I did zoom.
She turned on the computer and I heard the reason for my break,
She liked the color of her self-made snake.
Whether our task is to bring data to you,
Whether our job is reading the wonders of Pooh,
We may fix doors, we may monitor IEP’s,
Our job may be facilitating all meetings with glee,
It matters not whether we break for the winter,
Or, if at that moment we blow dust from a slightly. abused printer.
We can drive the buses, getting kids to the right places,
Teach science and english, instruct Calculus to math aces,
We can clean the floors, place band aids on knees,
Or our duty may be herding kids through lines of burritos and cheese.
You may differentiate instruction, conduct projects for learning,
You may temporarily get defocused by the 80 point yearning.
But, I know deep down why you come back after break,
It’s how we feel about kids that make our hearts ache.
None of us are any better to the maker in the end,
But, to me you’re the best, my dear special friend.
Just remember that the little girl’s smile simply says it all,
A glorious smile she yields even while struggling the hall.
We have touched her heart, and yes, helped prompt her to smile,
Fine colleagues I salute you, again you go the extra mile.

You Already Knew: But What Do You Do?